Shopping is a therapy for a lot of customers. They expect a clean and well-organized environment when visiting stores so they can roam around and quickly sift through their favorite items. The cleaner space enhances their shopping experience and helps you dominate the customer satisfaction chart by building a positive brand image.
That’s why you should adhere to a standard retail store cleaning checklist that covers all areas of your store. Read on as we discuss more about this topic in the following article!
The Key Areas of Your Retail Store
Your retail store cleaning checklist is only complete with a thorough cleaning of the following key areas:
- Entry, departure, and reception
- Product display space
- Break rooms
- Staircases or lifts
- Billing counter
Retail Store Cleaning Checklist
Maintaining a spotless and organized retail space is crucial for your business. Here’s the ultimate retail store cleaning checklist to ensure your shop space is in top shape!
You only have one chance to make a lasting impression as the customer enters the store. Ensure that this area is squeaky clean by:
- Taking out litter and sweeping the doorway
- Cleaning and dusting the planters
- Sanitizing the door handles
- Vacuuming the door mats
- Removing stains from the glass doors with liquid soap
- Emptying trash cans and dusting off the carpets
- Thoroughly mopping the hard floors
Quick Tip: The type of material on your floors will play a significant role in deciding which cleaning product works best. Using harsh cleaning agents can tear off the top coating of floors and cause discoloration in some cases.
A well-kept reception area conveys a lot about your brand and its concern for the surrounding environment, employees, and customers. Therefore, it covers the most significant part of your retail store cleaning checklist.
- Dust keyboards and wipe computer screens
- Arrange the magazines, documents, and registers in order
- Sanitize mirrors and windows
- Sweep shelves, desktops, and other high-touch areas
- Empty garbage cans
Your chances of making a profit depend on how attractively you arrange or present the merchandise you sell. The first priority is having tidy shelves since customers avoid spending money on items covered with dust or grimy fingerprints. Following that, you can:
- Clean the furniture and decor
- Properly arrange the merchandise
- Gather up and store any lost items after customer visits
- Remove the dirt and debris with floor mops
- Use a blend of vinegar and warm water to clean glass stains
- Remove the litter (if any)
Stairways and Lifts
It is crucial to sanitize the parts of your store that see the most number of customers, such as stairways or electric lifts. Ensure that you consider the following points for that purpose.
- Wipe the stair grills with a microfibre cloth
- Dust the appliances or equipment on the front of a staircase
- Mop the stairways with a mild disinfectant
- Clean the elevator buttons and mirror surfaces
Fitting rooms and clothing disinfection are critical to ensure customer satisfaction. Therefore, it is essential to:
- Empty the garbage cans
- Replace the liners and arrange them where they go
- Vacuum the furnishings, windows, and doors
- Dust the air vents
- Mop and sweep the floors
No matter the size of your retail store, you must maintain a germ-free lavatory to encourage a sterile atmosphere and slow the spread of infections and illnesses. First, set up the required equipment for the cleaning process, including gloves, mild disinfectant sprays, paper towels, glass cleaners, and wipers. After that, you can:
- Wipe sinks, faucets, and urinals
- Apply the acidic bowel cleaner and leave it for 10-15 minutes
- Wash the dirty area thoroughly with water
- Dust off the windows, wall corners, and cabinets
- Empty the trash cans
Quick Tip: Fill up your retail store cleaning checklist with eco-friendly products or natural cleaning agents instead of chemicals.
Retail billing counters clutter up quickly because they are always overly crowded. So, you must clean them regularly to provide customers with a good shopping experience.
- Dust and wipe the checkout counters
- Clean high contact areas and card machine buttons
- Clear the area where customers place the products at the checkout
- Use a disinfectant to mop and sanitize the hard flooring
- Empty the garbage cans and recycling bins
Cleaning retail storage areas is essential to keeping the workplace in order. Here’s how you can do it!
- Clean the ventilation spaces to prevent blockage
- Dust off window glasses with lemon juice and baking soda
- Scrub floors with natural and mild cleansers
- Arrange the essential items in order
- Empty the trash cans
Key Takeaways for Your Retail Store Cleaning Checklist
In retail settings, dust accumulates quickly, particularly on shelf spaces, and good lighting draws the eye to it. So, it’s suitable that you hire a professional cleaner to dust everything from top to bottom on a regular basis. You can also consider the following checkpoints for the ultimate result.
- Set a daily, weekly, or monthly cleaning routine
- Dry clean the carpets every six months
- Set aside a particular time each day to polish mirrors
- Use commercial cleaning supplies to sanitize break rooms
- Disinfect the shopping carts
- Mop floors regularly with hot and soapy water
- Use environmentally friendly cleaning products
- Replenish supplies when necessary
Why Do You Need Professional Retail Store Cleaning Services?
Your retail business can attract and retain more customers with a neat, pleasant, and welcoming environment. But given the size of a retail store, it is best to opt for a cleaning business that offers high-end commercial cleaning services to stir up your shop.
Mill City Cleaning provides expert cleaning services to meet the unique needs of every business. With over 25 years of experience in the field, we have earned a trusted reputation as the go-to industrial, retail, and construction cleaning company. Our skilled team members ensure that the final clean exceeds both your and your client’s expectations.
You can easily modify your cleaning schedules or adjust your cleaning services to suit your needs. For more queries, fill out our commercial cleaning quote form or contact (612) 822-2012.